[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Casual meteors 14 Sep 2001, 13 UT - possible radiant near 060+20?

Stephen reported meteors coming from the following location in 2001:

>(Sept 14 @ 13:30 UT) I saw a wonderful sight -- the simultaneous appearance
>of two 3rd magnitude meteors (about 160o apart in azimuth) darting from an
>apparent radiant half way between the Hyades and the Pleiades.

That brought to mind a couple of nights I had in 1996.  Here is what I wrote
for Sep 11/12 five years ago :

>Had another clear night in SW Fla after a wet stationary system gave up and
left.  Sep 11/12 was much better than my previous night, at least part of
the time.  Good sky throughout at LM 7.3.  Observed 226-526 EDT (626-926
UT). Total hourly rates 9,14,5; 2 SPI and only one DAU seen.  Partial hour
extended to 605 EDT when twilight started, saw 11 more for best period of
the night.  I plotted almost everything, allow 12 sec/plot.  I don't know
what to call A-T's, there was no obvious radiant while I was out there, and
my plots show nothing either.   I have 5 medium-speed plots projecting
through the Aries-Triangulum region and will leave them all undesignated.
But two reasonable, but entangled, radiants appeared in Taurus.  048,+18
with 3-5 meteors, size 2o.  058,+16 with 3-5 meteors, size 0.5o.  Two
meteors were common to both.

Almost a week later in 1996 I wrote this :

>Sep 17/18 was nice, LM 7.3 throughout.  Three hours beginning 226 EDT (626
UT) were totals 15,11,16. A final 3/4 hour had only 8 more.  Minors were no
KAQ, 2 SOR, 3 SPI, and 5 DAU. I was pleased with the last one, best show yet
for me.  Very distinctive fast ones, all but one left trains.  Nothing seen
brighter than 0m.  The most interesting was a 5m going 25o but taking 4
seconds to do it; I like the slow, leisurely meteors.

>One radiant on my plots: 063,+17,size 1.5o, 5 meteors, fast, 5o W of
Aldebaran. Compares nicely with a radiant from 6 nights ago that was 10o W
of Aldebaran.  On the latest I disqualified one slow meteor that grazed the
radiant circle.

The following night my plot charts showed no radiants.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society