[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: Deep Space 1 Probe Plans Daring Comet Flyby

------- Forwarded Message

From: Ron Baalke <baalke@zagami.jpl.nasadot gov>
Subject: Deep Space 1 Probe Plans Daring Comet Flyby
To: astro-l@uwwvax.uwwdot edu (Astronomy List)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:05:22 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/ds1_rendezvous_010916.html

'Aged and Wounded' Probe Plans Daring Flyby Saturday
By Robert Roy Britt and Robin Lloyd
space.com

NASA's Deep Space 1 robotic probe, which has already completed all of its
mission goals by proving a dozen futuristic technologies, will attempt to
tackle one last task later this week in a dramatic pass through a cloud of
dust and gas surrounding a comet.

The tricky photo and science opportunity, billed by NASA as a "risky bonus
mission" to see the heart of the comet, is slated for 6:30 p.m. EDT
Saturday, Sept. 22.

The effort may well fail.

"This is a high-risk encounter and the encounter simply may not work," said
Marc Rayman, project manager for Deep Space 1. "We're of course trying hard
to make it work but we've got an aged and wounded bird up there. We're
pushing it far, far, far beyond what it was meant to do."

Full story here:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/ds1_rendezvous_010916.html

------- End of Forwarded Message