[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Video Observation Results August 2001

> Austrian Werfried Kuneth will join the network next month. Since August he
> has been operating the same sensitive CCD video camera (Watec 902H)
without
> image intensifier for detecting bright meteors. With a fisheye lens this
> camera has a limiting magnitude of 0 mag at a 120 deg field of view. In
the
> beginning problems occured with the measurement of reference stars, which
> is why the August data could not be taken over into the database. The
problem
> is fixed by now, however.

Hi Sirko:
    Sandia tested a Watec 902HS camera in an all-sky mode and found that
background stars were lost in the high noise level of this camera.  You
indicate that the 902H has a limiting magnitude of 'zero'.  Is this for
meteors or background stars?
    I bought a Canon L2 Hi8 video camcorder which should arrive in the next
few days.  I will use it with a 25 mm 2nd generation image intensifier.  I
haven't tested the intensifier yet but I believe it is surplus 'new' so it
should have higher sensitivity than my experimental Stano intensifier.  At
least I hope so.  I will be doing spectroscopy with this system.  Will the
'zero order' meteor images that are often recorded provide useful data for
your AKM video network?  Zero order images are recorded much more often than
1st order spectra.
Ed