[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: Fireball Over Portugal?

I apologize if this is old news, but I'm on the Digest
Version of the meteorobs, and I haven't seen the
latest posts.

Bob V.

-------------- Forward Message --------------
[meteorite-list] Re: Fireball Over Portugal?

Ron Baalke baalke@zagami.jpl.nasadot gov
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:13:37 -0700 (PDT)

Here's the original report I've received:

  In the dawn of the last Sunday (16/09/2001) at
3.30am (UT), 4.30am in  Portugal, many people saw a
fireball in the sky. The fiery meteor across the sky
in the littoral of the country in the direction W-N.
Most   eyewitnesses said the object traveled close to
the Atlantic coast and saw the object broke up like
fireworks into four five pieces.
One woman in the north of Portugal made a home video
of the meteor with a camcorder in wich we can see at
least 14-15 pieces of the object.
  The video passes in the portuguese television with
the testimony of the eyewitnesses. We have
observations of the object in line with 360 Km.

I now suspect though that this was a reentry of rocket
debris, from a launch made in either 1964 or 1966.
There were two reentries expected on September 16.

International  Catalog                  Forecasted

Designation    Name             Number  Decay Date

1964-006AD     ELEKTRON 1 DEB   20224   September 16

1966-005N      TRANSIT 11 DEB   24704   September 16

Ron Baalke