To: imo-news@yahoogroups.com
From: h.luthen@botanik.uni-hamburgdot de
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:54:01 +0200
Subject: [IMO-News] (Fwd) Re: [comets-ml] revised orbit of C/2001 Q4

Found this on the comet-ml group.

Akimasa Nakamura wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Please find below the revised orbital elements of C/2001 Q4, calculated
> by K. Kinoshita.  He told me the uncertainty of T is now less than a few days.
>
> C/2001 Q4 (NEAT)
> T 2004 May 25.3121 TT                                   Kinoshita
> q   0.998387             (2000.0)            P               Q
>                    Peri.    0.6880      -0.86142960     -0.07906860
>                    Node   210.6364      -0.47054414     -0.24747212
> e   1.0            Incl.  100.1048      -0.19112105     +0.96566335
> >From 38 observations 2001 Aug. 24-Sept. 17, mean residual 0".66.
>
> Can you check out the condition around perihelion passage again, Michael?
>
> Best regards,
> Akimasa Nakamura
> Kuma Kogen

Dear All,

These new elements are very similar to the ones of IAUC 7711, so the
observing prospects do not appear to change that much. I did some
calculations myself with FIND-ORB on the positions up to 10 September,
and the results suggest that the comet could have a relatively short
period with e ~0.98, and I wonder whether this is entirely due to the
uncertainties of the short arc, or whether this might be real. Maybe
Kinoshita-san can comment on this?

Of course we all want to know whether this is a dynamically new comet;
or has it been here before? If it has, we may really be in for a nice
show in 2004.

I also used METRAD to calculate the radiant of a possible meteorstream.
It showed that the Earth passes very close to the orbit of the comet
with a minimum distance of only 0.006 AU around April 20. Meteors should
be rather fast (geocentric velocity of 55 km/s) with a radiant at
324.3deg -66.1deg (J2000.0). This is a position in Indus, only 1.3 deg.
from gamma Pavonis.

Is there a known stream with (minor) annual activity around April 20
originating in this region? Maybe one of our Southern members can help
out here.

If there is, we might have another indication that this could become a
nice, maybe great comet. The latter would particularly be favoured
though if the time of perihelion shifts towards April 20 by a
considerable amount.

Best regards,
Reinder Bouma

Reinder J. Bouma    e-mail (1): rjbouma@wxsdot nl or rjbouma@planetdot nl
Bekemaheerd 77      e-mail (2): cometsdot nl@12movedot nl
9737PR Groningen    homepage: http://www.shopplazadot nl/astro/
The Netherlands     phone: +31 (0)50-5418227

------- Ende der weitergeleiteten Nachricht / End of forwarded message -------

<nofill>
H. Luethen
h.luthen@botanik.uni-hamburgdot de
priv: Behnstr. 13, D-22767 Hamburg
lab: Institut fuer Allgemeine Botanik, Ohnhorststr. 18
     D-22609 Hamburg, Germany
Tel: 0049 (0)40-3800551 priv
     0049 (0)40-428-16-337

------- End of Forwarded Message