[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Impacts of Leonids in the Moon

> When and where in the moon we have to look them? Can we see them with
> binoculars?
David Asher commented on the possibility of lunar impacts during this
year's Leonids (after his presentation someone asked him this question and
even though he hadn't investigated it closely, he gave some thoughts and
comments). There are two important factors in connection with impact
visibility: exact times of lunar trail crossings and the observing window
duration. Around 14-16h UT the Moon will pass close to the 1800 and 1833
trails. Since the Moon is only 3 days from new it will set shortly after
dark. Therefore only locations with the moon above the horizon but the Sun
below horizon will be able to see possible impacts. The most favourable
locations will be in western Europe.

Also, David pointed out there is a significant possibility of lunar
impacts, but compared to 1999 the circumstances are not as favourable.

Clear skies!

Jure A.

P.S. - I've just returned from IMC2001. It was a great experience, I will
write a longer report once I get my thoughts sorted out. Oh yeah, a couple
of hours of sleep might do me well too :)