[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation September 14/15 2001

On September 14/15, I was out to test a new site in Beckwith township
along with a few other observers. I tool advantage of the fairly dark
skies to do a bit of meteor observing. The sky was pretty good to
start but developped a bit of haze during the session which affected
the limiting magnitude slightly.

With nearly two hours teff, I recorded 14 meteors. All were sporadics
except for a single Piscid. The highlight was at 3:00 UT when a pair
of nearly simultaneous meteors went down in Capricornus. They were
seperated by about 10 degrees and were travelling in parallel paths.
This was very surprising to me since the past 60 minutes before that
produced a meagre 2 meteors.

Plotting charts will be forwarded to NAMN.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: September 14/15 2001
BEGIN: 1:45 UT (21:45 EDT)  END: 3:30 UT (23:30 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76.0669 West; Lat: 45.045 North  Elevation: 50m
City & Province: Beckwith Township, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder

OBSERVED SHOWERS: 3-letter code;    		 	radiant position
		KAQ (Kappa Aquarids)			22h22 -06
		SPI (Piscids - ANT)			00h30 +03
		SPE (September Perseids)		04h25 +50

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT) FIELD     Teff  LM    SPO SPI SPE KAQ npx spx
1:45-2:46  21h44 +17 1.01  6.30   5   0   0   0   0   0
2:46-3:30  22h38 +19 0.71  6.26   7   1   0   0   1   0
TOTALS:              1.72	 12   1   0   0   1   0 = 14
The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down
as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky). One hour = 1.00 teff. The fourth column
(LM) is the average naked eye limitimg magnitude, determined by
triangle star counts. All following columns indicate the number of
meteors for each shower observed.

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER +2  +3  +4  +5	AVERAGE

SPO	2   6   4   1	+3.30
SPI	0   0   0   1	+5.0
---------------------
TOTALS: 2   6   4   2
---------------------
Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude
+2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are
the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball.  The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average for showers.

SKY OBSCURED:
None

Dead time: 1.83 minutes (for plots)