[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs)

My radio obs are a new hobby and fairly limited but I'll offer these few
insights:

1.  Yes, it should be possible to get several obs on the same frequency,
especially in populated areas like Europe.  My experience has been that I've had
the best luck on frequencies used both here in Southern California and Mexico so
that by the nature of the music/language I could discern whether the trail was
north or south of me.  I use an omnidirectional antenna.

2. My biggest problem is from aircraft passing overhead, but I learned to
discern them from meteor obs by the pronounced "picket-fence" nature of the
signal.  A meteor has such a high velocity that the Doppler shift is inaudible.

3.  Triangulation should be possible assuming you know the locations of the
transmitters, but there is an ambiguity in the location since there are two
different solutions that are possible unless you have two different receiver
locations.

John, can you post a .WAV file of the double radiobs to the net so that others
can listen in?  I'd be interested to hear them.

Jim  KD6GEJ

Kevin Grey wrote:

> Isn't it possible to triangulate its position/velocity using this?  I think
> this is the same type of method that the Chinese are using to detect stealth
> fighter/bombers...
>
> ~~K

Follow-Ups: References: