[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) I saw something in the sky

I live in the country about 90 miles NE of Tulsa, Ok.  19.5 miles west of
Missouri and 4.5 north of Arkansas.
I'm an amateur and I saw something last nite that I haven't before.  I've
seen satellites, the space station, and the shuttle coming down, but nothing
as large as this.
I was up around 4 to 5:30am this morning, 9/28.  It came from the east at
around 30 degrees from the southern horizon.  It went to the west, going
slightly south.  It did not vary it's orbit and went faster than any
satellite or jet.  I saw a satellite on a polar orbit earlier that morning
and I would estimate it went at least twice as fast.
It was the largest, brightest object I've seen in a long time, other than
the moon.  It was maybe 10 Jupiters, in size and brightness?  It did not
vary in intensity and I would estimate I saw it for less than 2 minutes.
Was this the space station?  and where can I find the orbital position of
the space station for a given time/date?
Thanks, Charlie

Follow-Ups: References: