[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: [OT] Using a Metal Detector [Updated Info]

Hello Wayne,

I know this thread has been Off-Topic, but I feel that
if you had the following "correct" information in the
beginning of your search, you wouldn't have had to
come to the Meteor-observer List for an answer.  But
by doing so, you will now get the information you
seek, and hopefully, others will be informed, as well.

Here is the NEW URL for access to the Meteorite-list:

and the "new" web page for the Archives is:

http://www.pairlistdot net/pipermail/meteorite-list/

As far as getting pointers for using a metal detector,
you may be better served by accessing web sites such
as the "Aussie Claim-jumper".  I don't know the URL,
because I'm not a prospector, but a "search" of the
Internet should get you there in a couple mouse
clicks.

As far as getting in contact with the Meteorite-List
webmaster is concerned, , , Good Luck;-)
His name is Art Jones and he is a member of my
Meteorite Recovery Team, and even I have a hard time
getting through to him. His day-job keeps him
extremely busy.

Should you make a find, I highly recommend that you
submit your sample for classification to:

IGPP (Institute for Geophysics and Planetary Physics)
c/o Dr. Alan Rubin
UCLA
Los Angeles, CA 90059
<aerubin@ucladot edu>
<http://www.ess.ucladot edu/research/cosmochemistry/index.html>

Several of my fellow Meteorite Recovery Team members
are conducting field studies in Nevada and we all
submit our samples to UCLA.  We have all been quite
pleased with the quick turn-around with the
classifications.  I can name 6 other labs that are
approved for meteorite testing, but due to
underfunding and reduced staffing (and the recent
influx of desert meteorites) they are all back-logged
and none of them can promise a turn-around in under 6
months.  But this is not the case for the IGPP lab at
UCLA, because they have special funding from NASA.

Because of several on-going studies in the deserts of
California and Nevada it would be preferable for any
new finds from those areas to be submitted to UCLA for
testing, so that they can be included in those
studies.

Good luck in Nevada,
Bob V.

  Robert Verish