[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Astronomy magazine's coverage of the 2001 Leonids

Robert Lunsford wrote:

> To add one more error:
>
> >"The storm, if it does occur, will result from Earth passing through
> > streams of locally dense meteoric debris during the early hours of
> > November 18. The two streams were deposited along the orbit of the
> > parent comet Swift-Tuttle in 1699 and 1866."
>
> Wrong comet!!! Swift-Tuttle is the parent of the Perseid meteors. The
> parent comet of the Leonids is Temple-Tuttle. This article is a bad joke
> and it will be sad if anyone is misled by the inaccuracies it contains.
> Now you know why I canceled my subscription to Astronomy Magazine. Nice
> pictures but lousy information.

If you look at S&T's meteor coverage of the '99 Geminids, you will ALSO find
some erroneous information on viewing, which would mislead observers. The
observers would miss some spectacular meteors, which I DID observe during the
'99 Geminids. See:

http://www.comet-track.com/meteor/geminids98/geminids98.html

I would also like to point out that Robert McNaught pointed out TWO CONSECUTIVE
years, where S&T misquoted or misinterpreted Leonids predictions, for their
Leonids articles... which were authored by yourself [Joe Rao].

Having been a member of Jet Propulsion Lab, & seeing their lack of
professionalism, I am REALLY beginning to wonder about the so-called
space-science community.