[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Astronomy magazine's coverage of the 2001 Leonids

Susan and All,

This is very easy. Everyone with clear skies in North America and nearly
the entire Western Hemisphere will see their best Leonid rates near
10:30 Universal Time on November 18. For those in the eastern time zone
this is the equivalent of 5:30am EST on Sunday November 18. I would
advise potential observers to be out a bit early as these times are
predictions based on the best available data. If I was on the east coast
I would start watching no later than 4:00 AM EST. If all goes well you
would see a trickle of meteor activity progress into a torrent.

One last item, while there will be bright Leonids with lasting trains, a
majority of the Leonid activity will be no brighter than the average
stars. If you watch from your suburban front yard surrounded by
streetlights don't expect to see more than a few meteors per minute at
best. Since this is a Sunday morning make it a point to take a family
excursion to the local astronomy club site or rural park to see the
display in all its glory. You will be surprised on how many other folks
will also be there trying to escape the veil of light pollution that
covers out cities and towns at night. You will be glad you made the
trip!

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford