[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Astronomy magazine's coverage of the 2001 Leonids

Joe wrote:
        >>>  No . . . the BEST advice (at least for readers in North America)
would
>>>have been for Astronomy to indicate to their readers the predicted time when
>>>the encounter with the 1767 dust trail was predicted to take place (near or
>>>soon after 10 h UT on November 18).

   I have never understood why astronomy magazines can't just give their readers
event times in layman's terms.  Why can't they just say something like, "the peak
is expected around 5:00 AM EST Sunday *morning* on November 18th?"  They could
still give the UT times also.  Novices could easily be mislead by UT times and
even go out on the wrong night entirely!!!

Clear skies!
Kim Youmans