[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids in Australia

Eastern Australia is GMT+10, so the peak on Nov. 18 18:00 UT would be 5:00 am local time the morning of Nov. 19. (since it is daylight savings time for their summer down there). Thats a good location, time-wise, but unfortunately with the radiant at +22 decl., it won't be very high up at such a far southernly latitude, resulting in significantly lower hourly rate compared to the northern hemisphere. (The best spot on earth for that peak is thousands of miles due north of Sydney in the Korea area) Also, being near summer solstice for that part of the world, the nighttime hours are quite reduced, likely getting twilight by the peak hour. If your friend is mobile within the country, you could recommend she head to the far northern territory to improve her experience. But, Im not sure of the weather prospects in that part of Australia. Local folks down there would have a better grasp of that factor.

Good luck!
Mike Linnolt