[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid Lunar Impact Spectra

    It would indeed be interesting to obtain a spectrum of a meteoroid
impact on the Moon's surface.  I am told that the magnitude of such impacts
are in the +4 magnitude range at best.  This presents a special problem for
the spectroscopist.  Since the light of the impact flash will be spread into
a spectrum, magnitude sensitivity is somewhat less.  It will probably be
necessary to use an image intensifier if a low resolution spectrum is to be
obtained.  I would suggest using a Rainbow Optics type grating mounted on a
telescope at the eyepiece end.  A blazed transmission grating would probably
be better.  Image the spectrum of a point source, (a star of +4 magnitude or
fainter), on the input screen of your image intensifier, then record the
output screen with a camcorder or ccd type video camera. 1/2 inch ccd
preferred.  You will have to be careful not to include the bright moon as
this may reduce the sensitivity of the intensifier or may burn a spot on the
o/p screen.  I am told that during direct imaging of meteoroid impacts false
detections are sometimes recorded necessitating a conformation observation
at another site.  These false detections are caused by electronic noise etc.
If a spectrum is recorded, this is indeed a detection, as light of some sort
has passed through the grating to produce the spectrum.  A conformation
observation would be nice but not necessary.
    I am not set up to try this myself at the present time but suggest that
others with the necessary equipment give it a go.  It would be an
astronomical FIRST of a spectrum of a meteoroid impact.

Ed Majden - AMS Meteor Spectroscopy Project Coordinator