[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Just seen: My first Draconid?!

No way to tell for sure, but during 5 minutes' casual watch between
05:10 and 05:20 UT this morning, I observed what had all the earmarks
of a magnificant GIA (Draconid). It was mag -1 during much of its
track, and left a 0.5 sec train behind it. But the train had more of
the appearance of a wake, becaue the meteor was around for a full four
seconds! (I was walking our Dachshund, oblivious of the date, I am
ashamed to admit... However, during the course of the meteor track, I
had plenty of time to shout and, I'm quite sure, awaken some of my
neighbors.) Magnitude was -1, clear alignment with the radiant (though
in Peg and Psc, it was quite distant), and the meteor traveled nearly
40 degrees during the 4 or so seconds.

Best estimate of time - 05:12 UT. Has anyone else noted GIA activity?

Clear skies, I am heading out for another (casual) peak!

Lew Gramer (GRALE)
Medford MA USA