[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Just seen: My first Draconid?!

Lew and all,

> No way to tell for sure, but during 5 minutes' casual watch between
> 05:10 and 05:20 UT this morning, I observed what had all the earmarks
> of a magnificant GIA (Draconid).
> (I was walking our Dachshund, oblivious of the date, I am
> ashamed to admit...

It hit me about midnight last night that hey, this is Draconid weekend! 8>
I have been rather out of things since I got back from the IMC, being on
either painkillers or anti-inflammatory medication since I got home... so
the brain is not necessarily working on all neurons...  I was typing up some
meteor stuff at the computer, and read about GIA's about October 8th... and
checked my watch to see what day it was.... gad.

Anyway... it was cloudy here yesterday up in Canada... we got wind, rain,
sleet, and icy snow pellets... with a temperature of about 5C.  Last night,
I saw the moon come up through broken cloud... but then it hazed over and
disappeared.  When I twigged about Draconids, I started monitoring the sky
when my body woke up wanting more pain medication.  It was clear from about
4.30 a.m. local time on... I watched out my window for brief periods each
time to see if the sky was doing anything unusual.  It wasn't.

Just in case of anything strange happening, I had laid out my camera,
tripod, and fast film for a quick exit outside for photos.  Sort of my
backup when I am in no shape to do extended visual...

> Clear skies, I am heading out for another (casual) peak!

I will be doing that tonight as well... having camera at the ready in case
of anything unusual in the sky.

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Canada