[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) BRIGHT METEOR MONDAY NIGHT

Dear Meteorobs:

Monday evening (Tuesday morning UT) at 0138 UT I was out working on the
installation of a new tower for my ham radio pursuits. My friend Tim, who
was helping me with the engineering work, exclaimed "look at that meteor".
Tim was facing west and I was looking east (naturally!) but I was able to
spin around and see the last 2 seconds of what he described as a spectacular
meteor burn.

He described seeing the meteor  burn start somewhere between Scutum and
Ophiuchus and it terminated  north of Hercules...nearly into Draco. The part
I witnessed was at least magnitude -2.

Anyone else witness this thing? Tim thought it might have been some space
junk burning up, but it was very blue-white and I did not see any
"sparklers" burning off it. If it was space debris it was an object that had
been in polar orbit because of it's south-north path.

As I finished up outside (around 0530 ut..dot it's going to rain Thursday...so
I've got to get concrete poured by Wednesday!) The Moon, Jupiter and Saturn
were stunningly framed by Auriga and Orion...what a beautiful night!

Regards,

Mark S. Williams
Elizabeth, In
GC: 38.08.16 N, 85.56.06 W