[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) video setup for meteor

I need some referrals/recommendations on a video setup for meteor observation.

I am hearing of an ultra sensitive video camera (B&W surveillance), something
like .0001 lux (not sure if this is right).  I played with a Watec 902 camera
with a fast f1.2 35mm camera lens, which hit mag 5 stars from my front yard.
It only gave me the FOV of a 300mm lens on 35mm format, but nevertheless I was
able to get a Leonid in '98.

Using a really wide-angle lens (CCTV), just didn't record faint stars, because
of its limited aperture.

Are the Gen II PVS-5 intensifiers any good?  They sell for around $400 - $900
(depending on size).  I would have to combine it with a lens, & camcorder.  Can
someone direct me to references on a bang-for-buck setup?  I'm limited on
budget.  I would have to use my exisitng Hi8 camcorder, my fast f1.2 35mm
camera lenses.

I would prefer to use a non-intensified video setup, that new camera sounds
interesting.