[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) video setup for meteor

Subject: (meteorobs) video setup for meteor

Hi Bob, nice to see you out and about again.

> I need some referrals/recommendations on a video setup for meteor
observation.

> I am hearing of an ultra sensitive video camera (B&W surveillance),
something
> like .0001 lux (not sure if this is right).  I played with a Watec 902
camera
> with a fast f1.2 35mm camera lens, which hit mag 5 stars from my front
yard.
> It only gave me the FOV of a 300mm lens on 35mm format, but nevertheless I
was
> able to get a Leonid in '98.

I did play with an Astrovid 2000 and a 50mm OM lens, which manged to show
the Plieades, but not a lot else. I also have aquied a small watec and
intend to try that as well.

> Are the Gen II PVS-5 intensifiers any good?  They sell for around $400 -
$900
> (depending on size).  I would have to combine it with a lens, & camcorder.

I picked up a small Russian intensifier, but had to try and use it afocally
as I could not get an image at prime focus. This was a cheap system - it
cost 89 bucks, but I am having a pulse type circuit knocked to gether so
that I do not have to keep pushing the button, I will let you know how I get
on with that.

The most startelingthing was that I was getting better inages indoors with
just the Watyec, than I was fiddling with the intensifier. I shoud know
better when I have the circuit sorted.

Can
> someone direct me to references on a bang-for-buck setup?  I'm limited on
> budget.  I would have to use my exisitng Hi8 camcorder, my fast f1.2 35mm
> camera lenses.

I will attach a link top the palce where I was given

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40670 and it
appears that this also has the same gen II intensifier as listed on the link
you provided (e.g. the 18mm MCP Intensifier--Second Generation).

I cannot confirm the latter detail I am afraid - but it could be true.

> I would prefer to use a non-intensified video setup, that new camera
sounds
> interesting.

If you can I would think that is best unless you can afford some really new
military stuff, and even then looking at the recent post Gulf War images,
you see a few stars, but whether you would get meteors or not is a different
matter.

I would be interested how you get on. I have also other messages which may
be of interest to you - ie replies to similar questions some months ago. I
can forward them to you dirct if you wish.

PS Liked the eclipse stuff, very professional. Also saw the turbulence on
saa. Keep up stirred

Best regards

Kevin

www.kevsmith.com