[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ulrich's software

Hi Ulrich,
To start off, I agree completely with the observations in your response. Yet, the emotional or subjective bias argued for the 35mm f/1.9 I bought specifically for this shower a couple of years ago  :-).
 After reviewing the images of the '98 Leonids published in Sky & Telescope, I thought the 35mm lenses gave the best compromise because the burn trails were still fairly long and yet several images could appear on  a frame. Ironically, my best image was a dramatic single meteor with a slight burst at the end with a 50mm f/1.4. I captured the entire burn and it filled 2/3 of the frame. I cant complain about that.
But with  an hourly rate about 10 to 20 times that of the '98 rate, I think (emotionally-not intellectually) the odds of capturing upwards of 10 full burns on an image with a wider angle lens are much improved. As well, the radiant tempts the use of a 50mm where the burns will be compressed.

Tom