[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) More on Mtn. Lions at former Descanso Observing site

Another word of caution about the area that I use to observe from in Descanso, Calif. I mentioned about two weeks ago about a Mtn lion being killed after it attacked and killed one of my father in laws sheep there. This occurred about 150 feet from the observatory. Anyhow, my father in law has just informed me about some information that anyone who should attempt to observe anywhere near the observatory, ought to know. I guess the Dept of fish and game has installed some radio transmitting collars on several lions in the Mt Laguna's, so they can keep track of their whereabouts. It appears that a young male, of about 80 lbs, has decided to make his main stomping grounds just across the street, of where the observatory is located. For those who have observed anywhere along that road, will know the spot. So....if you should decide to go to the turn around for observing or anywhere along Wildwood G,len Lane....take precautions. An 80 pounder is big enough to take down a man if it so desires. So far this particular lion seems to prefer deer at the present, according to the fish and game.
GeoZay