[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) BRIGHT METEOR MONDAY NIGHT

Rich,

What little I did manage to see of the Monday night meteor was pretty
spectacular.

I don't believe it was a piece of space junk for several reasons a) it's
apparent trajectory (polar orbit) b) it's color and c) the lack of any
clearly visible material "burning off in chunks".

I remember the spectacular piece of spacecraft debris that burned up over
the midwest a couple of years ago. I work at a fairly prominent radio
station in Lousville, KY. When that thing burned my pager started going off
with messages from my boss, our Meteorologist and one of our programming
people asking if I'd seen it an/or knew what it was. I'm the unofficial
"astronomy advisor" at the station. The reason I mention this is that I went
on the air that evening with our 9-midnight talk show host and talked about
the fireball.

What really struck me about that sighting was that we got calls from as far
north as Ontario, Canada and south into Alabama. To a person...everyone who
saw it thought it was right on top of them and going to crash within a few
miles of their location. Even our afternoon announcer , who is a licensed
private pilot, said he thought it was an aircraft which was in trouble and
attempting to land at one of our local general aviation airports.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and observation..dot it must have been fairly
close here...sure was spectacular here, though. Wish I'd been facing West!

Clear Skies!

Mark