[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Meteor Observations Oct.11/12, 2001 La Crescenta, CA

Sid mentioned that he used the MS Windows Notepad utility to submit his most
recent reports. Please note that, *by itself*, using Notepad WON'T eliminate
these format problems: after all, Notepad can just as easily use a NON-FIXED
WIDTH font as any email app! You still need to ensure (as I mentioned in my
last post) that WHATEVER you use to compose your report is either:

a) using a fixed-width font like Courier, Terminal or 'Fixedsys'. (I was
   wrong in my last post: the 'System' font is usually *NOT* fixed-width!)

b) using "flat text" - i.e., it generates email with no formating commands
   at all. (This option (b) may be harder for Windows users to implement.
   For UNIX users, though, this can be as simple as using 'vi' or 'emacs'
   to compose your report email...)

I posted the following test for fixed-width fonts, which REALLY DOES WORK:

>>M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M
>>l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l
>>
>>If these two lines do not line up character-for-character, all
>>the way to the end, then you are not composing in fixed width.

And Wayne Hally replied:
>Lew, these did not line up on mine :-)

Aha! Then you aren't using a fixed-width font, dude. :) Try this: Change
your emailer's default font to "Courier", and redisplay this email...

Clear skies,
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: