[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Report for Oct.16/17, 2001 from La Crescenta,CA

Hello Lew,
   I have been working late into the night and often enjoy a cigar while
outside.I have been taking advantage during this free time to get some
practice observing meteors.
   Indeed,I do see the smokey trails left behind by the meteors that streak
by and sometimes the sparkles that light them up are truly amazing.Maybe it's
because the air is so still up here that I see more than usual,I don't know.
We rarely get winds above 5mph at all... except when the Santa Anna winds
kick up every year for a few weeks.
   I'm an animator so my eyes have developed to where I see the individual
frames go by when I watch even the most fluid of animation and sometimes in
live action films, too, if the lighting is right.Also, we deal with cutting
up each second of action or film footage into 24-30 frames so you get an idea
of timing movement on that level.I can animate what I see and get it down to
accurate frame counts after all these years of doing it for a living.Maybe
this skill I've developed helps me out in seeing and timing these trains
beyond the abilities of mere mortals??? Then again, maybe I see these trains
just because they're rolling something funky into my stogies. ;)
Clear skies,
-SID!
=======================================
Sidney Ferreira