[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) definition of terms

   Ive been using for some time the following 2 terms that I learned
formally from Bob L:

1)  Wake - the short-lived (approx < 1 sec) trail/tail of a meteor

2)  Persistant Train - the longer lived (approx > 1 sec)glow/trail of a
meteor

The only related entry on the IMO page Malcolm notes is the following:
Persistent train
Remaining glow due to ionization in the upper atmosphere after the passage
of a meteoroid. The intensity and duration depend on the meteoroid's
atmospheric entry velocity, its size, and its composition. Bright fireballs
occasionally caused trains visible for several minutes.
Hopwever, there are no def's for train, trail, or wake

Joseph
San Diego, CA