[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet 109/2001 - 19 October 2001"

Lew Grammer wrote:

> I wonder if anyone on 'meteorobs' happens to know the Dr. Alan
Hildebrandt,
> mentioned in the first item of this issue? If you do, please ask exactly
how
> that quote at the beginning became so garbled: "Canadian Fireball
Reporting
> Centre" certainly sounds like a very official body. (The CSA is mentioned
as
> some sort of sponsor for it... And is it somehow related to MIAC?)

Lew:
    Yes, I know Alan Hildebrandt.  I'm surprised you don't recognize the
name with all the publicity about the Tagish Lake (Yukon) Fireball. Peter
Brown and he headed the recovery of Tagish Lake. He also did much of the
research that confirmed the Chicxulub crater off the tip of the Yucatan
Peninsula.  He was with the Geological Survey of Canada but is now at the
University of Calgary.  He has the honour of being appointed to the Canada
Research Chair at the University of Calgary in Planetary Science.  At the
present time he is Chairman of MIAC and is also responsible for collecting
fireball data for MIAC thus the Canadian Fireball Reporting Centre.  Do a
search for the Tagish Lake meteorite/fireball and you will read a lot about
his involvement with this event.  As is usual, if your not from NASA/JPL or
an American, no one knows who you are! :-)  As for asteroids and meteorites
there is a grey area.  What size does a meteorite have to be before it is
classed as an asteroid??????  Still an open question!  News reports get
distorted all the time so you have to read them with caution.
I just made the front page of our local newspaper regarding a fireball we
recorded with the Sandia camera.  I told the reporter that the fireball
disappeared for a second as it went behind an obstruction.  The news paper
story said it was lost because it went behind some other celestial body.  I
WONDER which one?????  You sure have to be careful what you say to these
guys as most don't understand what your talking about.

Ed Majden - MIAC associate.

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: