From: "Dave Hostetter" <dehostetter@msisdot net>
To: "meteorobs" <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Subject: (meteorobs) Orionids in Louisiana
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 06:12:39 -0500

I'm just coming in after observing for about three hours.  I was really
looking forward to the Orionids after having been clouded out of every
previous major shower this year!

We had a beautiful evening, and then the fog rolled in about midnight.  I
ended up seeing only about a dozen meteors in three hours, nine of them
Orionids.  I'll be surprised if my LM was even as good as 4.5.  There were a
couple of near-fireballs, though, so what I saw was good.  I was starting to
have withdrawal.  Mark, I'll send a regular report, but I doubt it will be
very useful.

Time to run back out and look for Mercury and Venus.  I saw the other
planets out through Neptune during the early evening during a public star
party our planetarium hosted.  If the fog has lessened, it will be
interesting to see them all in one night.

Dave Hostetter

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html