[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireball 15 October 2001

Ed,
        I, along with two other witnesses, watched a SPO during the Lyrids
earier this year that completely went out and traveled a large portion of the
sky before flaring up again.  Below is my narrative of the event:

...No exceptionally bright shower members were seen, the highlight of the
evening being a sporadic
that came from the direction of Serpens, headed towards Lyra.  It first
appeared as a feeble
but very fast 4rth magnitude meteor.  It disappeared, only to flare up again to
+1 as it approached Lyra, at
which time it was seen by our entire camping party....

        Would the Sandia all-sky camera that recorded the event be able to
detect the fireball if the reduction in brightness fell to +2 or +3 or lower
(but not completely extinguished)??

Kim Youmans

Ed Majden wrote:

>     The Sandia all-sky at Courtenay B.C. recorded a fireball on the above
> date.  This fireball flared brightly then blinked out for a second and then
> flared again.  I thought it had gone behind an obstruction (tree or cloud).
> A reporter from northern Washington observed this fireball and it exhibited
> the same characteristics.  I have noted in the past that some meteors do
> reduce in intensity and sometimes increase in brightness again often ending
> in a terminal flare.  Completely extinguishing and then flaring up again I
> think may be unusual.  Have any of you visual observers experienced this
> effect before?
>
> Ed Majden
>
> The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
> If you are interested in complete links on the upcoming LEONIDS, see:
> http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html
> To stop getting email from the 'meteorobs' list, use the Web form at:

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: