[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Orionids from Central PA

> It was a nice observing session, not as chilly as I thought it would be.
> Between 04:57 - 05:18 UT I believe I missed a spectacular bolide. Looking due
> east I observed a bright flash and believe I heard a light "boom". 2 other
> observers present saw the flash but didn't see the object. It definitely was
> not lightning.

There were certainly fireballs about.  Only seeing the flash is normal
for me during telescopic observations.  Last night (Oct 21) a double
flash alert me to stop peering through the 'scope and look up to see a
24-degree train distorting, especially at the radiant end, with an
intense core near the end of the path, at what must have been the
terminal explosion.  The bulk of the train disappeared after about 30
seconds, but the core lasted for 7 minutes, slowly diffusing as it
drifted north at about two degrees per minute.  The intensity of
the flash suggested a peak brightness around -11/-12.

I hope Mike Linnolt was able to see the meteor itself.

Malcolm Currie

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html