[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) where art thou Orionids?

>> In fact, the meteor must be positioned so it is tangent to an ellipse which has the transmitter site as one focus and the receiver site as the second focus. <<

Just for giggles, one night I pointed my yagi antenna straight up to see if I could detect visual meteors with my FM radio. I didn't get as many as my normal way, but it was no problem to pick some up. I believe I was either on 97.3 or 92.3 mhz? It's been a few years now. I use to use both freqs with a preference for one over the other. Just don't remember which now. I think it was 92.3? The Transmitting station was either Tucson or Phoenix, Arizona. Again don't remember which. I think it was Phoenix though. With the brighter meteors, I'd pick up fairly clear long signals lasting a few seconds and up to 1.5 minutes. Whatever station I normally used, it was a good one...that is it catered to the oldies, but goodies. :o)  I would monitor from my observatory in Descanso, California....about 30 miles due east of San Diego.
GeoZay