[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radio Leonids - North America

Message text written by INTERNET:meteorobs@atmob.org

"I am still considering attempting visual detection of daylight fireballs
during the 2nd peak. If the rate approaches 8000/hr there ought to be
several in the -12th mag range.
Tom"

Tom,

Good idea.  Are there any tips on daylight detection of Leonid fireballs?
For example : would you look right at the radiant? Maybe there would be a
hot spot there ?

I observed for daylight Leonids during the 1998 fireball storm past dawn
until about 10 or 11am my time. I looked intently but never spotted
one....nor did I spot any smoke trails in the blue sky. But that doesn't
mean there weren't any.

I would appreciate hearing any information on daylight visual fireball
observing as well.

Tom Ashcraft
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html