[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) My Aurora Observation Report - Post Yours

My report is below...

Other members present at the observatory were ASH members Gary Reed, Dave Mitsky, Dave Gaskill, and myself. In wanting to get word out about this to our membership who really would enjoy seeing something like this, I called over 3/4 of our membership in over an hour and completely used up my entire fully charged cell phone battery!

Make sure to post yours go to : http://www.spacew.com/www/subaurora.html
It has a template you just fill in your info and it posts! Plus your data will help many researchers!

Location: Naylor Astronomical Center, Lewisberry, PA, USA (N40.16 W076.80)
UTC Date/Time of Observation: 2001/11/06 at 02:25 for 00 hours 02 minutes.
Dimmest Stars Visible: 3rd to 4th Mag.
Estimated Intensity of Activity: Very High
Elevation angle of activity above horizon: 90 degrees
Types of activity observed: (Diffuse Glows) (Discrete Arcs) (Rays) (Curtains) (Zenithal) (Color-Varying) (Wave-like Pulsations)
Light Pollution: Moderate
Sky Conditions (cloudy or not): 80% Clear View
Estimated Lunar Interference: Moderate
Comments:
Aurora Incredibly intensified at 02:45 UTC. From 02:25 UTC to 02:40 UTC the aurora was a 10 degree in width band in the west below Vega, it slowly crept up into Cygnus, then erupted into a full green sheet from the west to the north. The curtan effect then began with reds, greens, whites, and pinks seen. The aurora faded after 03:00 UTC but strengthened again and slowly encroached on the moon at around 03:20 UTC and covered due West to the Northeast, to the zenith as well. The aurora is still lingering.

Regards,
Ted A. Nichols II
-Trustee
-Public Outreach/Publicity/Starparties Director
for the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg, PA
&
Founder of PlutoMission.Com