[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fantastic, Breathtaking Northern Lights From MI

At 12:39 7/11/01 , Mark Fox wrote:

>A mysterious looking radiant of some sorts that
>twitched like a heart beat was also present!  It was
>so spectacular that I became hysterical.  This area of
>the luminous phenomenon, where the ghostly lights
>seemed to at least partly radiate from was clearly
>located underneath Andromeda and to the left of the
>great square of Pegasus.
Mark, this is what is called an auroral crown. It is
the same sort of perspective effect as a meteor shower radiant,
but along the  field lines of the Earth's magnetic
field.
Tony Beresford
Adelaide, So. Australia

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html