[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: [leo2001] Leonids 2001 - the state of knowledge ...

Edward Chau asks:
>Can someone tells me when (Hong Kong time) is the best viewing in
>Hong Kong, please.

Edward, the two POSSIBLE projected storms in UNIVERSAL TIME are on 18 November
around 10 UT and 17-18 UT. China Standard Time is UT+8 hours. Therefore these
times would translate into 18UT on 18 November, and 01-02UT on 19 November.

(I assume Hong Kong uses CST - forgive me if that is not correct!)

However, there are also other projected (non-storm) peaks, for the "background"
component, and for a possible bright meteor component, having been predicted at
various times by various models... These are hard to keep track of!

And obviously, all of these are JUST predictions! I recommend that you plan on
observing each night of 17-19 November, from the time the Leonid radiant rises
(which is a little after midnight from Hong Kong) all the way till Dawn... If
that is too arduous, then focus on the *early morning* of 19 November.

And be sure to try recording whatever you see!

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html