[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) IMO Leonid Observing Hints

=================================
INTERNATIONAL METEOR ORGANIZATION
=================================

  O B S E R V I N G   H I N T S
     L E O N I D S   2 0 0 1

In order to ensure maximum success of the Leonid observing campaign,
I would like to mention some items which may be helpful for the
observing session. I will send another lengthy message about reporting
data to the IMO.

- BREAKS. The analysis of the 2000 Leonids has shown evidence that
  observers typically tend to fatigue when observing for very long.
  This effect may go unnoticed by the observer. We strongly recommend
  to HAVE SHORT BRAEAKS despite the nice show going on in the sky.
  A few minutes may already be helpful.

- BACKUP MEDIA. If you use a tape-recorder for logging the meteors,
  it is strongly recommended to take spare batteries and tapes with
  you. If available, a spare recorder will be excellent.

  A paper roll as used in shop counters is a very fail-safe backup
  medium. You can use the roll within your sleeping back and note
  meteors blindly. A test of this method before the Leonid maximum
  is be advisable.

- TIME STAMPS. In order to derive the small-scale structure of the
  Leonid stream, we will need very short observing periods derived
  from many time markings. If the activity climbs above 20 meteors
  per minute, markings every 30 seconds are recommended.

  Users of tape-recorders can speak the meteors on the RUNNING TAPE
  and derive the times after the observation. Tape speeds are not
  very accurate though. Occasional exact time markings accompanied
  by a distinct 'beep' on the tape will solve this problem sufficient-
  ly.

- LIMITING MAGNITUDE. The derivation of the limiting magnitude using
  star counts will be next to impossible during storm activity. Try
  to interpolate reasonably between the counts before and after the
  maximum. Occasional notes like 'LM dropped slightly' while the
  show is running will be helpful. Ideal is a one- or two-minute break
  for the LM determination.

Clear skies!

Rainer Arlt, November 7, 2001.

--