[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) unexpected bursts

            If you are referring to the fireball shower, that was due to mass sorting of larger vs. smaller particles in the background component of the Leonid stream, if I recall correctly;  the further we are away from the comet the less likely it is that the larger particles will be "held in check" by the physical forces of the comet itself.  Boy, I am way out of my knowledge base here!  No doubt someone will provide you with a more accurate asessment of the Leonid stream dynamics -- but it is truely fascinting stuff!
        As for predictions, I recall one or two researchers stating that another Leonid fireball shower would be unlikely -- at least not for the current cycle -- and the 1999 and 2000 Leonids have so far born that out.  As for other type of outbursts, I don't think anyone would deny that possibilty!
        Anyone and everyone who can observe on the mornings of the 17th and 19th absolutely should.  You may find yourself observing some unexpected feature that might actually broaden our understanding of the mighty Leonids!

Kim Youmans

Tom Fleming wrote:

I don't recall any discussion about activity on the morning of the 17th. Thatould be the date that corresponds to the famous burst of 1998. I presume any possibility would have been discussed already or can this type of leonid particle be predicted?Tom

Follow-Ups: References: