[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) unexpected bursts

>Reading the explanation of the 1998 fireball burst, it's pretty clear that
>there will not be a repeat performance this year.

Actually, there HAVE BEEN predictions this year - based on various researchers'
models - of a possible "bright Leonid peak" at 11h UT 18 Nov... No idea if this
prediction is still current (Peter?), and it would probably not match the "Great
Fireball Shower of 1998", if it did materialize. But still worth watching for!

I recommend that anyone desiring authoritative information about meteor shower
peaks and conditions should browse the IMO's "Meteor Shower Calendar 2001":

    http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal01.html#Leonids

Clear skies all!
Lew Gramer

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html