[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sky & Tel report today re: Jenniskens' predictions

Today on Sky & Telescope's Web site is a news story, 'Will
Leonids "Storm" for North America?', regarding Peter Jenniskens'
"last minute" predictions, mentioning that they are published in
the October WGN:

 http://www.skypub.com/news/news.shtml#Leonids

A key paragraph points out his prediction is for a peak rate of
4,000 per hour for North America:

"But Jenniskens argues that it's the other way around, with North
America getting the best show — culminating in half-hour-long
outburst of 2,000 meteors (for observers with dark, clear skies)
centered at 5:09 a.m. Eastern time. His predicted rate for North
America is five times that calculated by David Asher (Armagh
Observatory) and Robert McNaught (ANU/Siding Spring Observatory).
Australia and Asia should still experience a great display,
Jenniskens adds, but at levels roughly half of that for North
America."

I will be very happy if I see 300 per hour.  I cannot imagine
what a meteor storm is like, but I hope I get the opportunity!

Safe travels and clear, dark nights to everyone!

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html