[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids 2001/IMO Rapid Communication Network

I N T E R N A T I O N A L   M E T E O R   O R G A N I Z A T I O N

        2001 Leonids: Rapid Information Dissemination

Dear meteor observer,

From earlier communications, you have learned that the IMO is setting
up a rapid-communication network to obtain reliable information as soon as
possible for the three major expected Leonid peaks on November 18
UT. We invite you to contribute to this effort.

First of all, we want to point out you must DISTINGUISH between the
USUAL OBSERVATIONAL REPORTS, such as collected by the IMO's Visual
Commission, and which may be used for detailed, global analyses, and
the "EXPRESS REPORT" described below which serves as sole purpose the
compilation of a first rough but reliable picture of the activity within
hours after receipt.

For the USUAL, VISUAL OBSERVATIONAL REPORTS, Rainer Arlt already sent two
circulars via IMO-News and Meteorobs. Please read these carefully and
try to apply the instructions given there to make sure the maximum possible can
be obtained from your observations!

The EXPRESS REPORT should have the following format (do not forget
the date):

2000 November 17/18
Meteo R. Observer
Fireball City (45N 10E)

Time Interval (UT)    Lim. Magn.    Nr. of Leonids    Remarks (if any)
03:15-03:30           5.8           7                 None
03:30-03:45           5.9           16                None
03:45-04:00           6.1           56                None
    .
    .
    .

Bin your observations for this "express report" in reasonable time
intervals, depending on the strength and the variation in activity
(e.g., a few minutes at the peak time, 15 minutes further away from it).

(Again, the full report of your observations will be different from
this express report, as in the former shorter intervals may be required as well
as magnitude distributions and some additional data - see Rainer
Arlt's visual observing and reporting hints - but the above data suffice for the
purpose indicated.)

If you wish to collaborate with the IMO in this respect, please send
your express report ONLY for your peak night (Nov 17-18 in America,
Nov 18-19 in Eastern Asia/Australia) *** IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE
OBSERVATION *** to both of the following email addresses:

|  visual@imodot net             PRIMARY
|  vkru@yahoo.com             Back-up

ESPECIALLY AMERICAN OBSERVERS ARE URGED TO INDEED SEND IN THEIR
EXPRESS REPORTS IMMEDIATELY AFTER OBSERVATION; IN THIS WAY, IT MAY
BE POSSIBLE TO COMPILE A FIRST RELEASE BEFORE YOUR ASIAN/AUSTRALIAN
COLLEAGUES START THEIR OBSERVATIONS COVERING BOTH OTHER PEAKS!

This year's coordinator will be Vladimir Krumov (Varna, Bulgaria).

(Note that observations from Europe/We