[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Taurid?? meteor spotted from Adelaide, SA.

At 22:20 10/11/01 , Andrew Wall wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>. Would this be a possible Taurid Meteor? I am unfamiliar with this
>shower as I have not observed them personally.
Andrew, Utilizing Robert Lunsford's meteor outlook, posted November 8,
which says in part.
The Antihelion radiant is now located at 04:08 (064) +21. This area of
the sky is located in central Taurus close to the bright orange star
Aldebaran (Alpha Tauri). Any slow to medium speed meteor from Taurus may
be a good candidate for this shower. This area of the sky is best placed
near 0100 local standard time when it lies on the meridian and is
highest in the sky. At this time expect to see at least 5 shower members
per hour from most locations. We are now starting to see an increase in
the antihelion activity as the earth encounters debris from comet 1P
Encke. Observers who share their reports with the International Meteor
Organization (I.M.O.) should label these meteors as "North or South
Taurids", depending if they appear to radiate from north or south of the
ecliptic.
As I am sure you can verify  with your planetarium programme,
RA 04h 08m dec +21 was above the horizon, at 11:00 UT November 10, 2001,
so a taurid is a possibility.
Tony Beresford
Technical Info Officer
Astro. Soc. of South Australia