[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Best radio freqs for leonids "observing"

Mark,

Best way I've found is with a 6m all mode tuned to VIDEO carrier frequency
of whichever low band (VHF) TV channel is NOT occupied in your local area.
Channel 2, 3 or 4.

The video carrier is AM. Put the radio in CW mode. A decent  6m (or even TV
antenna) outside will be very helpful. This method is far superior to
"vacant channel" FM broadcast listening. On the FM broadcast band your
likely to hear only the loudest "pings". With the TV video carrier method
you'll hear a variety of pings from all directions both weak and strong
(different frequency equals different transmitter) and, since the video
carrier is AM (continuous carrier) you'll hear doppler shift as the
"pebbles" move  toward or away from you.

These days I set up a MD (minidisc) recorder (you can use cassette tape or
whatever). With the MD I can record for 2 hours and 45 minutes uninteruppted
and go back outside and observe. I either make careful note of the time of
the beginning of the recording...or, if I'm really feeling ambitious, I set
up a second (HF) receiver tuned to the WWV time service and mix that audio
with my "ping" audio and, viola!, I have a time stamped recording of the
meteor activity.

With the video carrier method the pings are heard as a sweet little "tweet"
as the burst generates an ionized trail.

If you need the video carrier frequencies send a direct reply and I'll be
glad to provide them.

Regards,

Mark

Mark S. Williams