[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: How many particles are in that trail?

Jeffrey and All,

The earth will approach the center of the 9 revolution trail more
closely than than of the 7 revolution trail. It is the combination of
trail density and distance from the trail center that determines the
most likely observed rates.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford

JEFFREY WILSON wrote:

> With the different predictions of the Leodnid Storm (hopefully) the number
> of revolutions of the respective dust trail (rev.)  is used.
> Example:
> 9:55 UTC | 7 rev. | max. 800 | ±45 m
> 17:24 UTC | 9 rev. | max. 2000 | ±65 m
> 18:13 UTC | 4 rev. | max. 8000 | ±35 m
>
> Are we talking here about the number of revolutions the dust trail (the
> particles within it) has made around the path of the commet? If this is the
> case I'm baffled by why 7 rev. is producing 800 while 9 rev. is producing
> 2000 and at the same time would be the older of the two streams. Older =
> less particles right?
>
>                                      Clear Skies and long trains,
>
> Jeff Wilson
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html