[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) weather prospects

Title: Re: (meteorobs) weather prospects
on 11/12/01 4:40 AM, Tom Fleming at enders_gt1@prodigydot net wrote:

The long range weather prospects for the U S appear to be generally favorable. I have studied the predictions for Amarillo, Abilene, Dallas and Texarkana. At this time, Abilene and Texarkana are more attractive. The is a 'no man's land' about half way from Ft Worth to Abilene with very dark skies and a number of other places in north Texas as you might expect that are sparsely populated. This may be of some help if you are planning an expedition.
Tom

I've been monitoring the long-range weather predictions for the West Coast and they look much less promising. A big storm system is now over the west and will remain through the week. It will begin clearing out on Friday, from the south northward. So Oregon and Washington have almost no chance of clear skies. Northern California has a small chance of clear skies. Even as far south as Barstow and Las Vegas, the chances of clear skies are not good. The edge appears to run along the line Santa Barbara - Barstow - Las Vegas. Just south of this line, things look much better. As always, we need to keep in mind the usual precautions about weather predictions. However, I've been watching these predictions for the last week and they have been quite stable.

I was in Concord, CA at the great Leonid storm of 1966, looking up at cloudy skies in intense frustration. I would urge West Coast observers to abandon all hope of seeing any Leonids from north of the edge-line and start making plans to go south.

I am in the position of the financial speculator who stands to profit from other people's misfortunes. As you all have been reminded at least once too often, I am running a grand experiment in northwestern Arizona to gather once-in-a-lifetime data on the Leonids by getting a bunch of observers in one place with computer equipment to log and correlate their data. Unfortunately, I have built equipment for 28 observers and have just 8 confirmed observers. If any of you California refugees from mal-meteorology would like a safe refuge, by all means get in touch with me ASAP.

Chris
Follow-Ups: References: