[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AMS Leonid spectroscopy

    The weather prospects for the west coast of Canada don't look very good
for the Leonids.  This is our season for one storm front after another.
It's raining today, so I'm still hoping that we will get a clear break on
the morning of the 18th.  I have had a number of enquiries about the AMS
Meteor Spectroscopy Project, unfortunately most were not set up to do
spectroscopy and probably will not be, at this late date.
    Harshal Raje in India will be setting up a single spectrograph from an
observation site located along the Sahyadris mountain range where he will be
camping.  I'm not certain about the equipment he will be using but it sounds
like a 2 1/4 Square camera with a simple film type objective grating.  Such
gratings are not as efficient as a precision blazed replica grating but it
probably is capable of recording spectra of fireballs brighter than -4.0
magnitude.  I wish him the best, and will be interested in seeing his
results.

Clear skies and good luck:
Ed Majden - AMS Spectroscopy Project Coordinator

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html