[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Detection on FM--a new experience.

Hi everyone,

I recently missed out on the Orionids due to overcast skies here in Central Iowa.
Have been experimenting/tinkering around to try to detect meteors with my Fisher brand FM receiver.
I live in the country smack in the middle of Iowa. Most of the FM frequencies seem to be used. The most promising frequency I've found so far is a Chicago frequency 89.7 MHz FM which just barely comes in (low signal strength LED indicator on my receiver) it usually comes in for short periods at a time on my receiver. Otherwise I get 2-3 other stations which drift in and out but do not register on either the signal strength indicator LED or the Tuned LED indicator of my receiver. I am using a cheap Radio Shack 6 element FM antenna which I presume is a Yaggi style directional antenna? I have it oriented roughly 70-80 degrees at approx. 15-20 degrees elevation.
So far, I have received some short "bursts" of music lasting 1-2 secs which are fairly loud and which I can positively identify as music from the Chicago Christian music station or atleast I think so.
During such short "bursts" I have noticed that both the Tuned LED indicator and the signal strength LED indicator have also lit up on my receiver. Tonight (11/13/01) from 12:00-01:00 AM I detected roughly 4 of these outbursts.

My questions are:
Am I doing this right?
Am I actually detecting meteors?

I have ordered a better receiver Icom-R10 which should be coming soon. I hope to use it to monitor TV video carrier frequencies for what will hopefully be a better setup for meteor detection.
Any advice or assistance from meteorobs members would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mark Mikutis
E-mail: raptor1@pcpartnerdot net