[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) IMO Leonid Reporting Hints (II)

=================================
INTERNATIONAL METEOR ORGANIZATION
=================================

R E P O R T I N G   H I N T S (II)

    L E O N I D S   2 0 0 1

As every year we will provide a global analysis of the Leo-
nid meteor shower from visual observations. We would like
to encourage all visual meteor observers to provide their
counts for the analysis. Here I repeat some essentials:

  I.The first thing is the computation of immediate activity
    profiles from EXPRESS REPORTS. These reports can be of a
    rough style. 5-, 10-, or 15-minute counts (or estimates)
    will be sufficient. Please send your report to

         visual@imodot net

 II.The FULL REPORT will be necessary to create the detailed
    global analysis. This report should contain very short
    observing periods (in the case of a storm, minutes or
    subminute-periods). Please use a style like

         www.imodot net/visual/imoform.html

    Extend the form with more rows if necessary. Several
    thousand observing periods are expected. This is why
    a standard form should be used -- otherwise too much
    time will be lost to extract the information from the
    report. Send the report to

         visual@imodot net

    too. Data sent by postal mail are also welcome:

         Visual Commission IMO
         c/o Rainer Arlt
         Friedenstr. 5
         D-14109 Berlin
         Germany

III.Please DO NOT SEND computer-dependent files for reporting
    purposes. These are, for example, Microsoft Word or Excel
    files. Windows users may use the programme Notepad for
    typing in their results.

    Please note that table columns may align differently on
    different computers. Make your tables (especially the
    magnitude distribution) unambiguous by typing '0' for
    empty meteor numbers. For example,

    -6  -5  -4  -3  -2  -1   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   tot
     0   0   0   1   0   0   1   3   2   4  10   6   1   0    28

We hope to provide a full analysis by the end of the year. This
can only be achieved if the data utilization does not take an
extra-ordinary amount of time. Your well-prepared full report
will give us the chance to match the schedule. Many thanks in
advance for your attention.

Clear skies!

Rainer Arlt, November 13, 2001

--