[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid Storm...how much will it effect radio or even Satellite Receivers?

At 14:26 15/11/01, you wrote:
>Will a Leonid Storm disturb HDTV or satellite TV reception?
>Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks,
Ed ,
You have to consider these two examples seperately.
Here in Australia the Y\TV stations are using an adjacent TV channel
for digital TV. So it could be low VHF frequencies. I am sure
the digital nature of the modulation ,will mean that
the viewer isnt disturbed by meteor "pings"

Satellite TV reception is universally at frequencies above a gigahertz,
where meteor forward scatter is extremely inefficient, and of
exremely short duration( just obliterate a single TV line).

Of course if a comsat is actually impacted, and even suffers temporary
loss of service then its a different matter of course, but I imagine
you werent askinkg that question particular version of the question.
Tony Beresford

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html