[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) (admin fwd): Re: Last Minute Leonid Info and Tips

From:  byen00@earthlinkdot net

KevTK@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/13/01 12:07:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> owner-meteorobs@atmob.org writes:
>
> << from: B Yen <byen00@earthlinkdot net>
>
>  Is there any reason to go out Nov 16-17 or Nov 18-19?  The below implies
>  the Nov 17-18, to coincide with predictions.  I remember in '98 (fireball
>  show), that the night before the "peak" showed increased activity.  (I even
>  heard from someone, it was even *better* than the peak period).
>  >>

> Sure, thats why were all here. In a perfect world ALL showers should be
> covered from day one until they are finished. If you can manage to go out
> both nights then by all means go ahead. I'll be out  both the 16/17th and the
> 17/18th weather permitting.

I went out last year on both nights last year.  I just checked my meteor patrol
resutls (see http://www.comet-track.com/meteor/leonids00/leonids00.html), I got
more meteors recorded on film for 17/18 than 16/17.

I also went out both nights in '99.  I thought the whole thing was a bust.

In '98, I heard reports from AZ, about increased activity days before the
"peak".  Like B. Lunsford just pointed out to me, it was right after the passage
of Temple-Tuttle, so that was a different scenario.  Apparently there were
significant fireball activity before & after the "peak".

I think I would agree with B. Lunsford, & just concentrate on 17/18.  OTOH, like
you say, go out on as many nights to cover any uncertainties.  In my case, I've
done that for 2 years, & it proved not worthwhile. (especially the fact I have
to burn thru a LOT of film per night.  It cost me >$350 for '99 for both
nights).

B Yen

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html