[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing sites around Los Angeles

Hi,

I've been out of touch, but happy to say I am back in Los Angeles with just enough time to freeze my butt off observing the Leonids and return to nice warm Costa Rica.

From the number of sites folks listed for observing, noticeably missing was Frazier Park, just north of Gorman off the 5 Frwy. In my estimation, the best spot for a quick up and back--it only takes 1-1/2hrs one-way.

Very late at night there's not much traffic, so headlights are not a big problem. I find there is less light coming from LA there, then the light you get at Joshua Tree coming from every which direction. So I consider it one of the darker, close spots. I saw wonderful Leonid fireballs about 2 or three years ago and there were only two other people there. It would be a great place for a star party. Only problem is that sometimes the marine layer will come rolling especially during the spring and summer.

For those interested, the best area is a clearing just before you go up the mountain (Mt Pinos). It is also 10-20 degrees warmer then going up the mt. There is a street to the right (very easy to miss) just before the climb about 20 min drive from the frwy. Turn right and then immediately turn left into the clearing.

Enjoy.

Cindee McCallister

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html